Gestern Nacht wurde der Ig-Nobelpreis 2013 verliehen, eine „satirische Auszeichnung, die von der Harvard-Universität in Cambridge (USA) für unnütze, unwichtige oder skurrile wissenschaftliche Arbeiten verliehen wird“ (Wikipedia). Ich hatte mir die Verleihung gestern im Video-Feed live angesehen, hab' dann aber irgendwann ausgemacht, weil mir die Musik-Nummern auf den Senkel gingen. Aber die Preisträger und ihre Arbeiten sind, wie jeder Jahr, höchst erstaunlich: Aufstehende Kühe, Flugzeugentführer in Päckchen und Penis-essende Enten. Hier meine Favorites:
- PSYCHOLOGY PRIZE […] for confirming, by experiment, that people who think they are drunk also think they are attractive.
- SAFETY ENGINEERING PRIZE: The late Gustano Pizzo [USA], for inventing an electro-mechanical system to trap airplane hijackers — the system drops a hijacker through trap doors, seals him into a package, then drops the encapsulated hijacker through the airplane's specially-installed bomb bay doors, whence he parachutes to earth, where police, having been alerted by radio, await his arrival. US Patent #3811643, Gustano A. Pizzo, "anti hijacking system for aircraft", May 21, 1972.
- ARCHAEOLOGY PRIZE: Brian Crandall [USA] and Peter Stahl [CANADA, USA], for parboiling a dead shrew, and then swallowing the shrew without chewing, and then carefully examining everything excreted during subsequent days — all so they could see which bones would dissolve inside the human digestive system, and which bones would not. […]
- PEACE PRIZE: Alexander Lukashenko, president of Belarus, for making it illegal to applaud in public, AND to the Belarus State Police, for arresting a one-armed man for applauding.
- PROBABILITY PRIZE: […] for making two related discoveries: First, that the longer a cow has been lying down, the more likely that cow will soon stand up; and Second, that once a cow stands up, you cannot easily predict how soon that cow will lie down again.
- PUBLIC HEALTH PRIZE […] for the medical techniques described in their report "Surgical Management of an Epidemic of Penile Amputations in Siam" — techniques which they recommend, except in cases where the amputated penis had been partially eaten by a duck.