Sascha Mehlhase vom Niels-Bohr-Institut der Uni Kopenhagen hat den Teilchendetektor ATLAS am LHC in Lego nachgebaut.
It illustrates all details, from the muon and magnet system to the innermost pixel detector and will hopefully be a great eye-catcher for all generations. Here's some key features:
- about 9500 pieces
- roughly 1:50 in scale (close to scale with the LEGO® man)
- material cost of about 2000 Euros (payed by the high energy physics group at the Niels Bohr Institute)
- about 1 m x 0.5 m x 0.5 m in size
- approximately 33 hours construction time (spread out over several weekends and after hours)
- around 48 hours to build the 3D model (a one-timer though)